Explore the past
Visit the dedicated Explore The Past website for comprehensive information on services.
We are now fully open (Archive Searchroom Tues, Thu-Sat 10:30-16:00 & closed for lunch 13:00-13:30, Wed 13:30-19:00; HER Desk Tue & Thu 10:30-13:30; Self Service anytime during The Hive opening hours).
Archive and Archaeology Service
Explore the Past is home to the Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service and anything history related. Under our care thousands of archaeological sites, historic buildings and landscapes are recorded and 12 miles of original archives are collected and preserved. These are made available to our customers under the guidance of friendly, knowledgeable and experienced staff. All types of research on Worcestershire people and places can be undertaken using the comprehensive resources of the Historic Environment Record and the archive collections.
Explore the Past at The Hive offers:
- An area for consulting original archives, up on level 2
- Guidance and supervision from friendly, knowledgeable staff
- Printed guidance and information to help you navigate indexes and collections
- The facility to talk to archaeologists and access the archaeological record
- A large self-service area for using microform and internet sources
- A local studies and archaeology library
- A conservation room for the repair and preservation of documents
- Prearranged group visits 'behind the scenes'
- A programme of history and archaeology based events and activities for all ages and interests
- Check out our latest news blogs and catch us on social media
For information on access times, please visit the Opening times page.
Professional Services at The Hive
As well as our public services Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service undertakes a range of work to protect, manage, record, interpret and promote the history and historic environment of Worcestershire.
- Collect, preserve, make available and advise on archives
- Undertake digitisation work on our own collections and those of others
- Conserve documents in our care to ensure their long term preservation
- Work with districts, county and regional and national agencies to manage and protect Worcestershire's Historic Environment
- Deliver a wide range of professional archaeological services
Outreach & Visits
We carry out a wide variety of activities, offering tours, talks and school workshops. For more details see our outreach page.
Visit the Archive and Archaeology Service website.